Skype is a wonderful tool for video and online chatting. It’s used for a variety of purposes from job conferences to family e-gatherings, helping you stay connected to your professional and personal network around the world. Even though it is primarily known for its video chatting technology, Skype also offers instant message with a variety of interesting options and emojis. Available on a variety of platforms including mobile phones, Skype updates its features frequently to keep up with the fast-paced world of Internet communication. Read on to find out how to create a new Skype account—and to find out why you should. So what are you waiting for? Head to the next section to learn more about Skype’s great qualities.
Providing communication methods over a range of media, Skype lets you do more than just video chat. The sophisticated IM feature is great for pre- and post- video chat sessions, or for those times when making yourself look presentable for a video conference is just too much effort. If your webcam decides not to work at the last minute, you also have the option of audio chatting. It’s a happy medium between video and IMming: you can pick up on context through tone of voice, but your chatting buddy isn’t going to see your impressive arrangement of pimples courtesy of a stressful workweek. Some other features include:
- Test Call to make sure your video is working
- Customizable availability setting on profile
- Notifications when Skype friends go online and offline
No matter what your communication needs are, Skype has you covered. However, if you’re not quite convinced, hop to Why Skype? And see if your mind doesn’t change.
Skype makes talking easy, even when you’re interviewing for a job a few thousand miles away. On sick days at work, you can take your work home with you and still be able to chat face-to-face with your boss. Perhaps Skype’s greatest appeal is its ability to widen your social scope to epic proportions. It’s immensely popular, making a Skype account not only valuable for social standing but also professional networking potential. In order to secure your own job growth, it is often necessary to keep up with the online world. Skype keeps you covered on this front through constant updates of its offered material. Thanks to its wide array of options, Skype has become a must-have for just about every young professional in recent years.
Skype offers many personal capacities, as well. Being friends with grandma on Facebook is great, but your communication is limited to photos, status updates, instant messaging, and private messaging. With Skype, you can talk to her through video, which is—let’s be honest—probably easier for both of you, at least in regards to communication clarity. Messages omit context that comes with facial expressions, physical expressions, etc. Pictures can tell you how a person is doing in general, but they offer little in the way of communication in the moment. By getting a Skype account, you are doing yourself and your out-of-touch family members an incredible amount of good.
Stuff To Remember
In just a minute, you’ll know how to create a Skype account. That’s the easy part. Before doing so, consider what you intend to use your Skype account for. Choose a username that is professional and memorable and reflects who you are. Better yet—choose two or three. Your first choice may be taken, so it’s always good to have backup. Put at least a few minutes of thought into your username. Enable it to benefit you in the job hunt, if that’s going to be your main intent with Skype. Remember that your name reflects your professional persona—and go for something that portrays you as smart and dependable, as well as any other qualities that specifically boost your career. As for the password, try to choose one that uses a variety of letters, numbers, and symbols for the most security. Also choose a method for remembering it, or write it down and find a safe place to put it (but not so safe you’ll never find it again!). Once you’ve figured out your username and password, start creating your Skype account. (The next section tells you how.)
How To Make A Skype Account
At this point, you’re fully ready for your Skype account. Head to the instructions below for a quick and easy setup.
- Type https://login.skype.com/account/signup-form into the URL box of an open browser window.
- Type your first and last name into the respective field boxes.
- Type in your preferred email address, and type it in again to confirm.
- Find your date of birth from the drop-down menu.
- Choose your gender.
- Select country or region.
- Type in the city where you live.
- Choose your preferred language.
- Type in your phone number.
- Skype will now ask you how you will be using Skype. Type in your answer.
- Type in your Skype username and see if it is available. Repeat as necessary until you find one that is.
- Type in your password, then type in your password again. If you are unsure you entered it correctly either the first or second time, clear both fields and type in again. Repeat as necessary.
- Enable strategy for remembering password.
- Enter the code in the image. This proves that you’re human. Usually codes are not case sensitive.
- Read and agree to Skype’s Terms and Conditions. You will need to do this to successfully create an account.
Your account is now complete. Read on for a quick tutorial on logging into your new Skype account.
Logging into Your Skype Account
- Type https://login.skype.com/account/signup-form into the URL box at the top of an open browser window.
- Type in your username and password.
- Hit Enter or click Sign Me In.
Your account is now ready for use. Reach out to friends, family, and coworkers as desired.