Because links presented here may or may not be ICRA or SafeSurf labeled, they have been carefully screened and included for their relevance to online safety.
- Child Advocacy organizations and parental resources
- Getnetwize – Parental resources and collection of child safety tools.
- McGruff the Crime Dog – Child identification, fingerprinting, internet safety, senior safety
- Ribbon of Promise – The National Campaign to End School Violence. Folks
like you and I uniting under one cause, giving much more than lip service.
Childnet International – Based in London, Childnet works around the world to promote children’s interest in international communications.
Chat Danger – Explores the dangers of anonymous chat. Sponsored by Childnet.
Safe Kids – Superb site by Lawrence Magid.
Safe Teens – Also by Lawrence Magid.
Cyber-Stand for Children
NetParenting.com – Safety, Education and Entertainment Ideas for Children on the Internet.
Family Research Council
Report-It – Annonymous reporting for incidents of weapons, drugs and violence in schools.
Cyber Tipline – to report incidences involving child sexual exploitation online.
Main Street Mom – “The magazine for Modern Mothers with Traditional Values.”
Kids Like Ours
ParentsPlace.com – A full range of parenting and child rearing tips and resources.
PositiveParenting.com – “Resources and information to make parenting rewarding, effective and fun!”
PC Parents – National educational outreach program aimed at helping parents to better understand computing and the Internet. Sponsored by Intel.
Familycorner.com magazine – In this free webzine you will find an abundance of family time activities, crafts and recipes for kids, educational and parenting articles, ideas for your kitchen & home and much more.
- Government resources
- FBI Library, A parents guide to Internet safety – A basic introduction, English and Spanish.
- Filter software reviews and info:
- Bluehighways – The Internet Filter Assessment Project
Neosoft – Parental Control Product Review
w3.org – Details on the PICS labeling system.
ZD-Net – Filter software review, grid comparisons.
- Organizations dedicated to stamping out Spam
- Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial Email (CAUCE)
www.ecofuture.org/ecofuture/jnkmail.html – A useful private site.
- Email client vendors
- Qualcomm – Eudora
Microsoft – Outlook Express
Netscape – Messenger (Part of Communicator)
- Third party filter software vendors
- Cybersitter – by Solid Oak Software
Net Nanny – by Net Nanny Ltd.
Cyber Patrol – by Micro Systems Software. Earns our Highest endorsement for filtering!
Surfwatch – by JSB Software Technologies
Surf Monkey – Haven’t tried it but looks good if it lives up to it’s claims.
We-Blocker – by We-Web corp. Freeware.
- Monitoring software
- Chatminder – Compiles transcripts of everything sent from and received to your computer.
Very, VERY powerful. Can also be used in conjunction with other filters and online services.
Spector 2.1 – Monitoring program that invisibly takes full screen snapshots of all activity on your computer for later playback. Highly rated by ZDnet, CNet and others.
Secure Access Timer – from Buffalo Software Inc. Timer software to restrict access to certain programs, and/or set time limits for their use. For more info, visit the link above or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Browser vendors
- Netscape – Navigator (Part of Communicator)
Microsoft – Internet Explorer
NCSA – Mosaic (Good but highly outdated. Last release Jan, 1997!)
Opera Software – Opera (The new kid on the block)
- FTP Client vendors
- Ipswitch – WS_FTP (Windows)
Dartmouth College – Fetch (Macintosh)
- RSACi – Recreational Software Advisory Council, internet
PICS – Platform for Internet Content Selection specifications
RSA Data Security
Connecticut General Assembly – Keep up with the status of bills being voted on.
Parents Guide to the Internet – By the U.S. Department of Education. Basic intro.
- Family Friendly Internet Service Providers
- Surfsafer.com – (Gone.) Major cities nationwide and parts of Canada too. Worth a look.
Integrity Online – Based in Cleveland with nationwide access.
Internet4Families – Emphasis on Christian values. Nationwide and Canada.
Dotsafe.com – (Gone) From the folks who brought you goodparents.com. (Also gone)
SmutStopper.com – (Gone.) Prefiltered Internet Service Provider. Nationwide.
Fishnet Online – Based in Long Island, NY, nationwide dial-up and Canada.
EIS-Global – Featuring the BAIRtm filtering system. Elmira, NY. Nationwide access.
FamilySafeViewing.net – Lexington, SC, Nationwide access, competitive pricing.
- Fun places to visit.
- Surf Monkey – Wholesome portal to other material as well as their own free filter mechanism
MeekaAndHerCoolCousins.com – A perfect example of a family using the web for wholesome fun.
thecapitals.net – Small band, big dreams, having fun.
Good Stuff for Kids – Brought to you by AmericaLinksUp.org. Probably the best single point
of reference for safe web sites I have found.
American Library Association – Who better to ask for resource information?
MyFamily.com – Interesting site focused at creating family online micro communities.
- Educational sites
- Reading Link by Bob Tiltman – Boost your child’s reading and spelling by using Reading Link’s on-line interactive reading and spelling programme. You can try our free,