It can be very frustrating for you if your Yahoo Mail gets temporarily locked. This is especially true if you are in the middle of something very important such as work. There are a few reasons why your account may have been locked. But all of these reasons are for your and other people’s protection.
Why Was Your Account Disabled?
- There is a limit of how many emails can be sent at one time and to a certain number of people. If you go over this, Yahoo may disable your account because it can be a red flag that your account has been hacked.
- If the recipients of your email mark it as spam, this can cause Yahoo to temporarily disable your account. Make sure that you are not sending useless or unnecessary emails.
- If you have your email open on multiple devices and in different locations all at the same time, this can be seen as suspicious activity and Yahoo will disable your account for your own safety.
- If there are too many wrong attempts at your password Yahoo will disable your account because this is a red flag that you are not the person trying to access your account. This security feature was enabled to protect you from hackers.
- If your Yahoo account allows access to 3rd party applications, software or allows file sharing It can be disabled. Make sure that you do not have these thing associated with your account for it will be disabled.
How To Enable Your Yahoo Account Again
- If you have any POP or IMAP setting set on your Email account, remove those first.
- Close all browsers and any instances for your email that may be open on another device for in another place.
- You need to make sure you deny access to any 3rd party applications, software or file sharing. You also need to cancel access to any of these things that you may have given permission to in the past.
- You need to clear the cache of your browser and then reopen Yahoo Mail.
Your Account Might Have Been Hacked
Email Service providers such as Yahoo have upped security for your account to help combat against hackers. That is the main reason your account will get frozen. When there is suspicious activity, it makes the provider think that someone else may have gotten access to your account. When they see red flags, your account gets disabled.
Hackers need to get access to your email because email service providers have a more rigid ‘authentication system’ to keep hackers from making fake accounts. Getting your email account makes it easier for them to send spam email to scam people for money or to introduce malicious software to their account and computer. They need to make money and that makes your email very valuable to them.
A lot of people will choose the same password for multiple accounts. This opens you up to having hackers be able to gain access to all of your accounts if they happen to get access to one. This is a situation that your do not want to find yourself in.
Luckily for you, Yahoo has your back and will disable your account if there is any indication that a hacker is using it for anything. But there are also things that you can do to prevent this from happening.
Tips To Keep Hackers From Getting Your Email Account
- Your email address should be unique but easy for you to remember. But it should also be hard for other people to guess. Here is an example of an email name that would not be easy to just guess: firstname.lastname@example.org
- It is best to use a different combination of letters, numbers and symbols to make your password and user name harder to figure out. It should not be your name or a name that everyone calls you. It also should not be the name of a pet or your child. A hacker can look at your social media accounts and guess at what you might use for a username or password just by the things that you have on there. You want to make it harder for the hacker so that your account can maintain its security.
- If you are using the same password for all of your accounts, you need to change them. You can try using a variation of the same password with different numbers at the end or add symbols. While that is not the best way to go, it will make it harder for a hacker to gain access to all of your account just because they have one.
- Keep your passwords private, do not give them to anyone. If you think that someone else knows your password, you should change it immediately. Passwords are there for your protections so it will not do you any good if everyone knows it.
- If you think that someone has gained access to your account, you need to notify Yahoo and change your account password. More often than not we hear about our accounts being hack from friends or family who have received a strange email from you.
It is always and inconvenience when you cannot access your account. But if you follow the steps to reactivate your account your account will be fixed quickly. Also remember to follow the tips provided above to keep hackers from getting to your precious and important information. Just a few changes can keep hackers from wreaking havoc on your life.
If you follow all of these steps your account should be reactivated in 12 to 24 hours depending on the reason and severity of the reason it was disable for. You need to be patient and give it time. They need at least 12 hours to reactivate your email ID. And you want to make sure that any threat to your account and information is fully addressed before your Email ID is reactivated.